We all have our good luck rituals. Some people might have a lucky object they carry around, a lucky shirt or a lucky … butt grab?
Tony Stewart was caught on camera gabbing the rear end of Kevin Harvick’s wife for “good luck.” Apparently this is something he’s always done.
Stewart told USA Today that it’s the first time cameras have caught him. “This is old news … We’ve been doing that since I was driving the Nationwide car with them. We’ve always joked around and horsed around like that.”
So, did it work out for Stewart? The NASCAR racer finished sixth at Chicagoland Speedway and moved to third in the series standings, the story reported.
According to CharloetteObserver.com, NASCAR Productions laid off about 15 percent of its Charlotte-based workforce this week in a restructuring of the unit.
32 of 180 jobs were eliminated, and the story reported that some of those employees will remain into the fall as the final leg of the NASCAR Sprint Cup races are run.
“In the last few months we’ve undergone an analysis of our business in Charlotte, particularly on the production side, and it became clear we wanted to redirect our efforts toward NASCAR only,” Steve Herbst, vice president of broadcasting and production said in to the Charlotte Observer.
If you watched NASCAR this weekend in Bristol, you probably saw where Tony Stewart and Matt Kenseth got into a small scuffle.
As the two were fighting for the lead, they both turned and hit the wall, which diminished any chance for either racer to win.
What happen next is probably described best by Yahoo! Sports:
Stewart’s car was the more damaged, and as Kenseth passed him on pit road, Stewart fired a low strike at Kenseth’s hood. Hop-step, two hands … that was a Olympic-quality helmet tossing, friends.
According to Yahoo!, Stewart made no attempt to hide his disgust with Kenseth. “I’m going to run over him every chance I get for the rest of the year,” he said of Kenseth. And when informed that he’d get his helmet back, he shot back, “I don’t give a crap. Hell with the helmet.”
According to bleacherreport.com, the quoted NASCAR David Higdon, saying, [quote align=”center” color=”#999999″] We’re definitely not fining Tony. We didn’t feel he crossed the line with our new parameters of getting a little more back to the drivers to control their own actions.” [/quote]
ESPN is reporting that NASCAR has fined Paul Menard’s crew chief for $100,000 for illegal modifications found on his racecar last weekend at Michigan.
The Chevy was taken to NASCAR’s research and development center after Sunday’s race, the story said. There was evidence that the frame rails had been intentionally modified to deceive inspectors.
ESPN says car owner Richard Childress and Menard were each doced 25 points. Car chief Craig Smokstad and crew member Grant Hutchens were also suspended until Oct. 3, with Smokstad and Hutchens placed on probation through the end of the year, the story said.
Last week we told you about a controversial win by Marcos Ambrose when he took first place at he Finger Lakes 335 at Watkins Glen Aug. 13. Many drivers complained that there was oil on the track coming from Bobby Labonte’s car, and a caution flag should have been issued. (See that story here: http://blog.powerblocktv.com/?p=4256)
And now after Sunday’s racing incident in the Pure Michigan 400, more concerns are coming up, questioning the safety of NASCAR.
According to bleacherreport.com, contact from Kasey Kahne sent Mark Martin’s car spinning down the entrance of the pit road, where it eventually made contact – driver’s side first – with the end of the pit wall at one of the points where the wall opens into the garage area.
It appeared that Martin probably had control of the vehicle, but it wasn’t looking good for those in the pit road area. It’s been brought up by many media sources that had his vehicle gone even a foot further, the situation could have turned tragic.
No one was reported injured, and though it’s rare that cars slide that far onto pit road, having those openings in the pit wall compromises the safety of everyone, and the possibility is still there.
The internet is buzzing with yesterday’s controversial NASCAR finish after Marcos Ambrose took first place at the Finger Lakes 335 at Watkins Glen yesterday.
NASCAR officials are sticking to their claim that they were not aware that there was a problem with oil spilled on the track.
According to Yahoo! Sports, Bobby Labonte’s car has been blamed for the oil spill, and NASCAR has defended its decision not to issue a caution by stating, “The only corner-worker reports were that the 47 (Bobby Labonte) was smoking.”
The article says Brad Keselowski’s car made contact with Kyle Busch in the final laps. Keselowski told Yahoo!, “I hate to say there was nothing I could do, but there was literally nothing I could do. It was just one big, giant oil slick underneath his car, and I feel bad about that.
“Oil all over the race track. It’s pretty ridiculous they don’t want to end a race under caution and put that many cars in jeopardy,” Jeff Gordon said.
It was noted that Kyle Busch avoided making comments after the race.
Take a look at the video, and let us know what you think.
To PowerBlock fans keeping up with this, we’ve got a video from Ralph Gilles, President and CEO SRT Brand and Motorsports, Chrysler Group LLC, discussing the decision to withdraw from NASCAR for the 2013 season.
According to a report from ESPN, Dodge is expected to hold a press conference today to make the official announcement that they will not be participating in the 2013 NASCAR racing season.
Dodge was faced with a rebuilding phase, beginning in 2013, after Penske Racing – the lone NASCAR organization to field Dodge since 2009 – chose to leave the manufacturer in favor of Ford, ESPN said.
Rumors reported by ESPN suggest whether Dodge’s parent company, Fiat, had any regard for NASCAR, leading to Penske’s decisions to leave for Ford and for Dodge to withdraw.