According to Autoweek.com, NASCAR is eliminating the to-25 qualifying rule, reducing by three of the size of the field in the Nationwide Series, and it is changing testing rules for all three of its top series.
Starting with the 2013 season, the top 35 cars in owners’ points won’t be guaranteed a spot in the Spring Cup field, the story said. NASCAR will use a 36-6-1 format, meaning the fastest 36 cars make the race on speed, and the next size highest ranking cars in owners points not already qualified then earn a starting spot, followed by the most recent eligible past champion driver, the story reported.
In addition to qualifying rules, NASCAR was said to announce changes to testing rules for the 2013 season. Spring Cup Series teams will be allowed up to four tests at tracks where the series compete, Autoweek reported. Before, teams could only test at tracks that didn’t hold NASCAR national series events.
As for the Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series, racers will be allowed two tests per organization at tracks where those series compete. The story said if the organization has an official Rookie of the Year candidate, then that team will receive one additional test. Also, NASCAR will open track activity early for extended practice at two additional events per series, to be determined, Autoweek reported.
What do you think about the rule changes, PowerBlock fans? Let us know on our facebook page.
Penske Racing driver Sam Hornish Jr. is Courtney’s guest this weekend on PowerBlock! Sam drives the #22 Shell Pennzoil Dodge in NASCAR’s Cup series and he’s a 3 time Indy Car Champion who also won the Indy 500 in 2006. Penske Racing and Sam have partnered with Scott Pro Shop Towels and he’ll remind you there’s still time to enter the “Take The Challenge Sweepstakes” for a chance to win a 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT. Enter at ScottProShopTowels.com You only have until October 15th! Plus Sam is an avid car enthusiast too, he has a pretty cool car collection that we’ll talk about on October 13th & 14th.
According to sportingnews.com, the schedule change this season was done to allow for more time for a repaving project at Kansas Speedway.
Feb. 24: Daytona
March 3: Phoenix
March 10: Las Vegas
March 17: Bristol
March 24: California
April 7: Martinsville
April 13: Texas
April 21: Kansas
April 27: Richmond
May 5: Talladega
May 11: Darlington
May 18: All-Star
May 26: Charlotte
June 2: Dover
June 9: Pocono
June 16: Michigan
June 23: Sonoma
June 29: Kentucky
July 6: Daytona
July 14: New Hampshire
July 28: Indy
Aug. 4: Pocono
Aug. 11: Watkins Glen
Aug. 18: Michigan
Aug. 24: Bristol
Sept. 1: Atlanta
Sept. 7: Richmond
Sept. 15: Chicago
Sept. 22: New Hampshire
Sept. 29: Dover
Oct. 6: Kansas
Oct. 12: Charlotte
Oct. 20: Talladega
Oct. 27: Martinsville
Nov. 3: Texas
Nov. 10: Phoenix
Nov. 17: Homestead
ESPN is reporting that NASCAR has fined Paul Menard’s crew chief for $100,000 for illegal modifications found on his racecar last weekend at Michigan.
The Chevy was taken to NASCAR’s research and development center after Sunday’s race, the story said. There was evidence that the frame rails had been intentionally modified to deceive inspectors.
ESPN says car owner Richard Childress and Menard were each doced 25 points. Car chief Craig Smokstad and crew member Grant Hutchens were also suspended until Oct. 3, with Smokstad and Hutchens placed on probation through the end of the year, the story said.
Last week we told you about a controversial win by Marcos Ambrose when he took first place at he Finger Lakes 335 at Watkins Glen Aug. 13. Many drivers complained that there was oil on the track coming from Bobby Labonte’s car, and a caution flag should have been issued. (See that story here: http://blog.powerblocktv.com/?p=4256)
And now after Sunday’s racing incident in the Pure Michigan 400, more concerns are coming up, questioning the safety of NASCAR.
According to bleacherreport.com, contact from Kasey Kahne sent Mark Martin’s car spinning down the entrance of the pit road, where it eventually made contact – driver’s side first – with the end of the pit wall at one of the points where the wall opens into the garage area.
It appeared that Martin probably had control of the vehicle, but it wasn’t looking good for those in the pit road area. It’s been brought up by many media sources that had his vehicle gone even a foot further, the situation could have turned tragic.
No one was reported injured, and though it’s rare that cars slide that far onto pit road, having those openings in the pit wall compromises the safety of everyone, and the possibility is still there.
The internet is buzzing with yesterday’s controversial NASCAR finish after Marcos Ambrose took first place at the Finger Lakes 335 at Watkins Glen yesterday.
NASCAR officials are sticking to their claim that they were not aware that there was a problem with oil spilled on the track.
According to Yahoo! Sports, Bobby Labonte’s car has been blamed for the oil spill, and NASCAR has defended its decision not to issue a caution by stating, “The only corner-worker reports were that the 47 (Bobby Labonte) was smoking.”
The article says Brad Keselowski’s car made contact with Kyle Busch in the final laps. Keselowski told Yahoo!, “I hate to say there was nothing I could do, but there was literally nothing I could do. It was just one big, giant oil slick underneath his car, and I feel bad about that.
“Oil all over the race track. It’s pretty ridiculous they don’t want to end a race under caution and put that many cars in jeopardy,” Jeff Gordon said.
It was noted that Kyle Busch avoided making comments after the race.
Take a look at the video, and let us know what you think.