Acetylene fumes contributed to truck explosion after owner hit key fob

A man walked out to his truck this morning, pressed the key fob to unlock it and was startled with a surprise explosion.

Debris was scattered along the yards in the man’s neighborhood, and his windshield even landed in the backyard of a house across the street.

According to The Virginian-Pilot, the man had stored an acetylene bottle on the truck, and investigators said fumes from the bottle likely escaped overnight and ignited when the key fob was pressed.

Thankfully, no injuries were reported as a result of the incident.

(Photo Credit: The Virginian-Pilot)